As technology and openness about mental health struggles have grown over the past several years, many companies have discovered a wonderful way for the two to work together. Nearly everyone has a smartphone these days, which means they have a potential tool to help them right in the palm of their hand.
Here is a list of 6 depression apps you can download from the Apple or Play stores on your phone for free (or for a couple of dollars) that come highly recommended by our Children’s Mental Health Centre professional staff.
1) MoodPath - Free – This app helps track depressive symptoms for you to take to your doctor to assist with a possible diagnosis and accessing help.
2) What’s Up? – Free – What’s Up utilizes Cognitive Behavioural Therapy to help you cope with stress, anxiety, depression, track habits and feelings, learn breathing techniques, interact in forums and more!
3) Happify – Free (with subscription option) - Science-based daily activities and games to reduce stress, overcome negative thoughts and more, complete with goal/progress trackers!
4) Daylio: Mood Tracker – Free – A daily mood tracker diary using emoji faces to get a visual of your progress from daily to yearly, including activities and statistics. 5)Youper: Emotional Health – Free – An Artificial Intelligence (AI) emotional health assistant, have quick conversations to help change your mood, journal, track your mood and habits, meditate and more!
6) Depression CBT Self-Help Guide – Free – CBT-based self-help depression app that helps you monitor the severity of your depression, read articles, listen to helpful audio, track your progress and get helpful tips.
These apps are a great start to helping your youth on a day to day basis. If they require more immediate professional assistance, the professionals at Front Door are always available to help.
"When our clients turn to us for help, they put their trust in us. At Lutherwood, we value that trust and take the protection of our clients’ privacy very seriously so they feel comfortable confiding in us, and in turn, we can offer the best possible service to meet their needs."