Lutherwood's Day Treatment SR stream is a therapeutic service for youth from 12 years of age up to their 18th birthday who are experiencing significant emotional and behavioural difficulties. In partnership with the Waterloo Region District School Board, this program combines a supportive school environment with therapeutic and skill building activities designed to foster growth and reach treatment goals.
Location, Hours, and Length of ProgramThe Day Treatment program operates out of Lutherwood’s Children’s Mental Health Centre at 285 Benjamin Road in Waterloo, Monday to Friday, 9:00 am – 2:30 pm.
The length of the program varies and is based upon the child’s individual needs and treatment goals. The Day Treatment team works collaboratively with staff from the child’s home school to help them successfully transition back upon discharge from the program.
The Day Treatment program helps develop emotion regulation skills, interpersonal skills, self-care skills, and problem-solving skills using strength-based and evidence-based treatment approaches.
- an individualized education program and the opportunity to attain credits
- mental health treatment appropriate to the child’s individual needs
- individual, family and group counselling based on treatment goals
- skills teaching and coaching of Dialectical Behaviour Informed Therapy (DBT-I) strategies (life skills, emotion management, positive peer interactions and self-esteem)
- indoor and outdoor recreation and aquatic programming
- school and community integration support
Our Treatment Team
Each youth is assigned a Primary Worker and Clinical lead who work with the youth and their families to develop individualized treatment goals. Our multidisciplinary treatment team then supports the youth and family in achieving these goals.
The program is supported by an interdisciplinary team including Teachers, Child and Youth Counsellors, Intensive Family Support Worker, Clinician, Psychologist, Nurse Therapist, Music Therapist, Recreation Coordinator, Program Supervisor, Clinical Supervisor, Program Manager