The secret to success is connections.
The Mentorship Program of Lutherwood brings together internationally trained professionals (ITPs) and trades people with local volunteer mentors in their field. Mentees will have the opportunity to gain a better understanding of the regional job market and professional practice in Canada and establish valuable networking connections.
I want to find a Mentor
Lutherwood's Mentorship Program staff will match you with a suitable mentor based on your industry, professional background, skills and goals. Your mentor will share his/her experiences working in your shared field of expertise, evaluate your resume and interview skills, inform you of credentials that you might need, and connect you with other professionals. The frequency and duration of meetings as well as the preferred method of communication is mutually agreed upon by the mentee and mentor. Lutherwood’s Mentorship Program staff will provide ongoing support throughout the match as needed.
Benefits of Mentorship for Internationally Trained Professionals (ITPs):
- Increased self-knowledge and awareness
- Connect with Canada's hidden job market
- Obtain strategic tools for ongoing career development and success
- Enhance communication skills
- Develop professional etiquette
- Identify talents needed in the Canadian workplace
- Build your network for career success
To become a Mentee, you must:
- Complete the Job Search Workshop
- Be a landed immigrant with Permanent Resident or Convention Refugee status
- Have proof of status: Landing Document, Permanent Resident Card, or Notice of Decision
- Currently live in Guelph - Wellington
- Be proficient in English - CLB Level 5 or higher
Additional suitability requirements may apply.
I want to become a Mentor
Inspire hope and strengthen lives of newcomers and their families. Help them to build their new life in Canada by sharing your expertise as a mentor. By helping internationally trained individuals access their profession in Canada, you will contribute to their family’s future.
- Support someone at a very critical time of change
- Inspire others and be inspired
- Improve mentees’ self-esteem
- Exchange cultural experiences
- Share and learn local and international business practices
- Develop leadership excellence and strengthen coaching skills
- Willing to commit 1 hour a week over a 3-month period
- Professionally employed or recently retired with at least 2 years of experience working in Guelph-Wellington and area
- Keen to contribute to our local economy’s success by sharing their professional expertise and networks
- Required to provide 2 professional references
Mentors can also contribute to other activities such as special events, mock interviews, information interviews and workshops.
This program is funded by the Government of Canada through Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.