We truly appreciate the time, dedication and energy of our more than 100 volunteers and students as they enable us to better support our clients and residents as they strive to reach their goals and improve their quality of life.
Volunteer with Us!
Explore exciting opportunities in children’s mental health, employment & housing at Lutherwood and with seniors at Luther Village on the Park.
- Activities - Luther Village on the Park
- Fitness - Luther Village on the Park
- Chaplaincy - Luther Village on the Park
- Friendly Companionship - Luther Village on the Park
- Technology Helper - Luther Village on the Park
- After School Activities and Recreation - Children's Mental Health
- Classroom Support - Children's Mental Health
- Evening Recreation and Activities - Housing
- Administration - Children's Mental Health and Employment
- Resource Centre - Employment
- Ambassador - The Foundation
*Due to the restrictions at our sites due to Covid-19 we have very limited volunteer opportunities. We are currently only accepting new volunteers at Luther Village on the Park in both in-person and remote positions. Please check this space each month for updates.
Please contact the Volunteer Resources Coordinator at email@example.com (E-mail is preferred) or 519-707-1958 ext. 1238 to discuss your interests and goals.
Lutherwood offers a variety of student placements in many of our of service areas and at various sites. Student Placements are dependent on the Program’s need at the time of placement and hours/shifts will vary depending on the program. Student placements are unpaid. As a not-for-profit organization we are unable to offer paid co-op placements.
Available hours for Placements: Days, Evenings, Weekends. Overnights are not offered for student placements.
Programs that accept students:
- Luther Village on the Park (139 Father David Bauer Drive, Waterloo)
- Recreation and Leisure
- Wellness (Masters of Social Work)
- Culinary Arts
- Mental Health (285 Benjamin Road, Waterloo and 1770 King Street E., Kitchener)
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Social Service Work
- Bachelor of Community and Criminal Justice
- Masters of Social Work; Event Planning
- Employment (165 King Street E., Kitchener, 35 Dickson Street, Cambridge, and 89 Wyndham Street N., Guelph)
- Career Development Practitioner (preferred)
- Social Service Work
- Housing - Note: Safe Haven Youth Services only (41 Weber Street W., Kitchener)
- Social Service Work
We are happy to explore additional possibilities outside of these programs upon request.
Please contact the Volunteer Resources Coordinator at 519-707-1958 ext. 1238 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss educational requirements and fit with our programs.
If you are ready to apply, please fill out the appropriate form below:
All volunteers must be at least 18 years of age and must provide:
- Application form (Student)(Volunteer)
- 3 references, at least 1 professional
- Police Record Check with a vulnerable sector search (dated within the last 30 days)
Depending on the program and/or site that you are placed with, we may require additional screening to comply with our accreditation standards and/or to meet our licensing regulations:
- Medical Clearance Check - 2 step TB test (dated within the last 6 months) and a copy of up-to-date immunizations. If you have completed a 2 step TB skin test before, then you are only required to complete a 1 step. You will need to provide documentation for both your prior 2 step TB test AND your 1 step when it is complete
- Please note that screening can take upwards of 4-6 weeks to receive all documentation. Please plan ahead, especially for student placements.
*If you are accepted as a Volunteer or Student, we will reimburse the cost of Police Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Search and the 2-Step TB Skin Test and Medical Certification where necessary for placement.
- We ask for a minimum of a 6 month commitment (university and college students who volunteer and will be away for co-op terms will be considered and can temporarily put their volunteering on hold)
- Students are only required to commit to the length of their placement, but will gladly be considered for a volunteer position after their placement if there is need in their program or other area of the Organization
- Orientation and online training is provided for all volunteers and students
- Program-specific, onsite training, and a health and safety tour is provided during the first week
"Being a student at Lutherwood provided me with lots of hands on experience, I learned a lot in my time there, and was excited to go to placement every day! I was surrounded by very supportive staff who not only allowed me a safe environment to make mistakes, but also take the time to educate me & check in with me." — Natasha R, Mental Health Services, 285 Benjamin Road
"In Lutherwood, I found that everybody’s goal is to give the best service to the community and I like being a part of it. I value immensely the opportunities I have as a volunteer: I get to give back to the community, I learn something new every day, and I get to connect with all the staff and to feel part of this great “Lutherwood family."" — Cristina A, Employment Services, 165 King St.
"Volunteering at the Luther Village Fitness Centre has enabled me to pursue my passion for improving and maintaining people's quality-of-life while also gaining insight into the lived experiences of older adults. Working with my supervisor, I have learned skills to foster an environment of collaboration, trust, and excellence, which has allowed me to build personal yet professional relationships with the amazing residents. " — Dominic R, Senior Services, Luther Village on the Park
"As a Social Service Worker student, having an all-inclusive, supportive, and positive team to assist me while I put my theoretical and practical experience into action has been a rewarding experience. The Cambridge office has accepted me as if I was a team member and has encouraged my learning. I am excited to see what the future holds with my journey at Lutherwood. " — Nicole R. (SSW student, Conestoga College), Employment Services, 35 Dickson St.
"My 20 + years of volunteer work gives me the opportunity to support someone in the way she or he needs, My knowledge and my culture are growing and it also helps me to be active and connected to the community. " — Leda G, Senior Services, Luther Village on the Park
"Lutherwood’s volunteer culture is outstanding. I am so grateful for the experience I’ve had volunteering with the Peers & volunteers program and the support we receive from the staff at Lutherwood." — Lindsey F, Children’s Mental Health, Benjamin Road
"Volunteering at Lutherwood’s Children’s Mental Health Services solidified my desire to work with children and adolescents for the rest of my life. I left my first day of volunteering and called my mom to let her know that I’ve found my passion and I am SO grateful for the opportunity to pursue my passion volunteering at Lutherwood. " — Volunteer, Children’s Mental Health, Benjamin Road