Job Search Workshop for Immigrants (JSW)
The Job Search Workshop (JSW) program is your first step to employment in Canada.
Our experts understand the needs of immigrants and can help you learn what Canadian employers want newcomers to know about getting a job in Canada!
JSW Offers You:
- An individualized meeting to review your employment goals, Canadian occupation knowledge and current job search strategies.
- A personalized plan created to reach your immediate and professional employment goals.
- A menu of specialized group workshops and individual job search coaching options to learn about job search in Canada, get information on how to enter your occupational field and build your confidence.
- Information and referrals for community services that offer support with settlement, education or training and employment.
You need a plan. We can help.
- Landed immigrants with Permanent Resident or Convention Refugee status is required to participate.
- Proof of status is required: Landing Document, Permanent Resident Card or Notice of Decision.
- Currently living in Guelph or Wellington County
Additional suitability requirements may apply for individuals wanting to attend specialized JSW workshops.
JSW Module 1: Occupation Blueprint
1 week session offered monthly; 14 hours
- Understand the Canadian company perspective of employment
- Analyze the skills, education, salary and requirements of your occupation in Canada
- Investigate and identify companies where you can work
- List and describe your own work history within a Canadian context
- Build your confidence to share your skills and accomplishments
- Develop strategies for networking and job search success
- Learn about Canadian style resumes and adapt your own
- Get familiar with community resources
- Plan the next steps in your own job search process
JSW Module 2: Job Search
1 week session offered as needed; 16 hours
- Job search strategies expanded
- Write a targeted cover letter and resume for a specific job
- What to expect at a Canadian interview
- Interview tips for success
- Common and behavioural interview questions
- Mock interview practice
JSW a la Carte: The Art of Story Telling
2 hour session
Develop skills to communicate briefly and concisely, practice answering common questions in social and work situations, have an opportunity to practice introducing yourself and speaking in front of others.
JSW a la Carte: Professional E-mails for Job Search
2 hour session
Build your confidence with written communication and practice the strategies, grammar and techniques of effective e-mail writing for job search. Participants must have a professional resume.
JSW a la Carte: Building your Network Using LinkedIn
2+ hour session
Build your skills and confidence to use LinkedIn for networking. Use a variety of strategies to search for and find potential LinkedIn connections. Write targeted invitation messages to potential connections, connect with groups and recruiters suited to your occupation, and increase the number of contacts you have on LinkedIn. Participants must have a LinkedIn account and complete profile.
JSW a la Carte: The Power of Small Talk
2 hour session
Participate in a North American cultural norm. Learn the 6 strategies of small talk, practice introducing yourself and small talking with others, build your confidence to communicate and meet people to build your network.
The first step is to speak to one of our experienced staff to see if the Job Search Workshop program is right for you. Please call or visit the Guelph location for more information.
Not the right program for you? No problem. Contact us to get information about the other employment services available in your community
This program is funded by the Government of Canada through Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.